Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Capture Your Ideal: a Tribute to Education Majors

On February 6, 2012, I had the incredible opportunity to travel to Campbell University to speak with their Teaching Fellows and Education Majors as part of their guest lecture series. I spoke with the undergraduate students in their beautiful new Chapel. It was gorgeous with large, clear windows in every wall giving the illusion of being outside. I spoke with them about the amazing choice they made to become teachers. We talked about how important the work is and how many people are invested in their success.



As I concluded my remarks, they shared with me a piece of paper with their theme for the year. Their theme is one of those statements that live on with you as you consider the levels of meaning and slowly peel back the layers to reveal a simple, yet powerful truism.

“Teaching Fellows 2011-2012 Theme: Capture Your Ideal

Benjamin Mays, a great African-American minister, educator, scholar, social activist, and mentor to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was an articulate spokesperson.

He stated:

“Man [or woman] is really what his [or her] dreams are. Man [or woman] is what he [or she] aspires to be… It must be borne in mind, however, that the tragedy in life does not lie in not reaching your goals. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. It isn’t a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled, but it is a calamity not to dream. It is not a disaster to be unable to capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no ideal to capture. It is not a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to reach for. Not failure, but low aim is the sin.””  (Hand-out from the Campbell University Teaching Fellows)

When these young men and women bravely decided to dedicate their lives to others through teaching, they were clearly reaching for the stars. They aspire to become a child’s teacher. They are working hard in their studies and have committed themselves to giving their all to the children who will one day call them teacher. I admire them and each of the education students I have met this year as I have spoken at various universities around the state.

Education seems to under attack in our country as budgets are slashed and results are questioned. It saddens me when teachers are painted with broad strokes, the actions of a few tainting the view of the profession. Daily I see an amazing people giving deeply of themselves for their students. I am heartened by this next generation of educators who despite the circumstances are stepping forward to join the ranks of teachers. They do so because they dream of making a difference just as their predecessors made a difference in their lives.

Today I pause to thank the Campbell University students for the gift of the words of Rev. Mays. I thank them also for choosing to be teachers. To them, to the university students I have met this year, and to all education majors I say, Keep dreaming, keep reaching, keep chasing… for the dreams, ideals, and stars you reach for will one day change the world through the students you give your lives to.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for speaking with us yesterday! I really learned a lot from your lecture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to thank you again for such an interesting lecture yesterday! I feel that I really learned a lot from listening to you speak and from you answering our questions. You are really an inspiration and your words truly have the power to mesmerize and capture your audience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your words of encouragement, yesterday. It's nice to hear someone speak who puts aside the negative sides of education, and realizes the potential of what teachers can be, whether they have the money or not.

    ReplyDelete