Friday, December 2, 2011

Building a Dream in the Dominican Republic


The opportunity to give back in a real, tangible manner excites me. The life I live has its roots in the education I received in the Public Schools of North Carolina. I am able to provide for my family and make a difference in the world because teachers in amazing schools refused to accept anything less than my very best. Their encouragement gave me access to the life I live now. I owe a great deal of who I am and what I have to the education I received in North Carolina's Public Schools.

Today I embark on a journey to a mountain community I had never heard of. I have been told stories of homes with dirt floors and tin roofs. I have been told about students who could not attend school because the nearest one was too far away and grossly overcrowded. Children there have not had access to the education I received. What an amazing blessing it is to be able to travel to Constanza and help build a school for the children. We go to build hope. We go to provide a space for teachers to encourage children to believe in themselves and we go to build a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment