Monday, December 19, 2011

"Life is Like a Cup of Coffee"

During the mission trip to build a school in the Dominican Republic, I had the opportunity to meet seven wonderful North Carolina School Administrators. Among them was Mr. Mark Sale (@JohnMarkSale). Mr. Sale serves as the Principal of Swain Middle School. He and I had several conversations during the trip and I found in him a kindred spirit. He is dedicated to the children in the school he serves, his family, and to making the world a better place. I recently received an email from Mr. Sale that resonated with me. I asked him to share a portion of it and the video clip he linked here in this blog. He graciously agreed. Please enjoy a few thoughts from the far western side of North Carolina:

"I traveled to China a couple of years ago to help begin a collaborative project with our school here in Bryson City. While I was there, I stopped drinking coffee because the quality wasn't what I was used to and I was becoming somewhat addicted to it. I would have a cup every seven or eight months, but that was all. And then I drank the coffee in Constanza. It was everything a cup of coffee should be and one cup was all that was needed to start the day.

Since Constanza I find myself drinking coffee more. Very rarely does the coffee of Bryson City (or even Starbucks) measure up to the coffee of the Dominican, but it is coffee and has its own value. Some cups are better than others. I also find myself thinking of each of you like the sip of coffee in the morning. There are very few things that compare to that first sip. It awakens all the senses and warms the soul. That is how I think of each of you and I think of you often. I found my thoughts sliding back to Constanza and to each of you at mile five of my bike ride yesterday. The thoughts sustained me to the end of the ride.

Now watch the video -- and thanks to each and everyone for sharing coffee with me. Coffee will never taste the same. Keep the email and pictures going too, They help keep my cup full." - Mr. Mark Sale, Principal, Swain County Middle School


Like Mr. Sale, I love a cup of coffee in the morning, particularly on those rare mornings when I get to share it with my wife. After traveling to the Dominican Republic and seeing how happy they are with seemingly so little, I have come to realize that I, too, have worried too often about the cup and not often enough about simply enjoying the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment