Sunday, December 4, 2011

Picture Day in the Dominican

Day 4 - Friday, December 2, 2011

The notion of Picture Day at school brings up memories for most of us. I remember being dressed up in my best clothes. My mom would worry about my Picture Day outfit for weeks. On the big day, I would be dressed up in my nicest outfit and my hair would be slicked to the side and off I would go. Our teacher would line us up and we would head to the Auditorium for our semi-annual pictures.

Mom usually bought the middle package and sent my sisters' and my picture out to extended family members. She would take down last year's 8x10 from the frame on the Living Room wall and replace it with this year's. The old one lovingly went into her photo album, a pictorial timeline of our lives. Picture Day was a big part of our lives.

Today, as a Principal, Picture Day does not seem to have the same importance. The introduction of digital cameras gives many the ability to take great pictures any time they want to. The students no longer dress in their best outfits, opting instead for clothing that more closely resembles their daily wardrobe. Still, though, it is a part of our traditions. The student portraits go into our Yearbook and are kept to mark the celebrations of another year.

Imagine a place where children have never seen their picture, ever. In the Dominican Republic, there are no Picture Days. Parents have no valued photos of their children to treasure. For one school, on Friday, December 2, 2011, that changed. The corporate sponsor of the Mission Trip is Lifetouch. Their primary product is Portraits. They take pictures at Cuthbertson, having successfully won that opportunity from our Yearbook sponsor each year.

Lifetouch determined to give one school a Picture Day. The school contains some of the children who will attend the new school we are building. We arrived at the school, the Escuela Manuel Tobias Duran (Manuel Tobias Duran School), and found the members of the Lifetouch team had already set-up blue backdrops. We moved students, class by class, to the photography area outside of the building. They each waited in line to have their picture taken. The children were coaxed to smile, but hen they appeared the smiles were genuine.

We talked and played with the children who were waiting on their classmates. They were a little rambunctious, just like children around the world. After each child and the teacher had their picture taken, we walked them around the school for a group shot of their class. Picture Day had just become "real" for them. I cannot wait until we return on Monday with their picture packages in hand.

Lifetouch employees sent the pictures to their plant in America. Plant workers volunteered their time to process the pictures and a Plant Manager is flying here with the pictures in two suitcases. We will have the opportunity to hand a child their picture. For most, it will be the very first time they have held their own picture.

Picture Day, though a big part of my own school days, has not been something I that really think about. It happens routinely and we move on. It now has more meaning for me. There are parents in this world who would love to have a single picture of their child. In my family, we have hundreds of digital pictures of our children. We are so blessed and sometimes don't even see it.

2 comments:

  1. What joy! THank you Rob for bringing this story to us. We take so much for granted. I can remember growing up and looking so forward to seeing my picture... sometimes happy with the result, sometimes not!

    What a blessing- gift to these kids! Thank you for bring joy to others less fortunate than us. We love the work you are doing and can't wait to hear more. Our prayers are with you!!

    Cindy Cianciosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually all dressed up one hour before our annual picture-taking sessions because my mom and dad were always excited to take pictures of me. LOL. Anyway, I will always treasure the days we share together as a family, especially picture days. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete